Saturday, June 15, 2013

The big 30....I feel so old!

I have to admit, I woke up the morning of my birthday incredibly moody and sullen. As if turning 30 wasn’t bad enough, I was feeling homesick and sorry for myself. Alex kept asking me what I’d like to do for my birthday and I had no answer for him, instead I would bite the inside of my lip to stop the tears as I thought about how much I wanted to be home with my friends and family doing all the things I love on my birthday.

Besides the obvious homesickness I was also unhappy that Alex was going to be leaving me and heading out on his Solo Trip that morning. We knew before we even left  Australia that my birthday and his Solo was going to coincide but it wasn’t until the last few days before my birthday that I realised how upset I was about it.

But there was nothing to be done about it. I was going to have to suck it up. Ginny had organised for me to come golfing with her that morning and the girls were going to be looked by some friends. I wasn’t sure how if I wasn’t looking forward to this or not as although I had enjoyed golf once upon a time, it was before the girls were born and I am not (as you all know) very athletic (bit of an understatement I know!) it wasn’t something I would normally choose to do on my birthday and Ginny is like seriously awesome at golf and I didn’t know if looking like an idiot was a great way to spend my special day, no matter how nice Ginny would be about me and my incredible lack of sport skills.

Alex had mentioned that morning that he thought Rea was going to join Ginny and me for golf, I frowned and said “Really? Ginny didn’t mention it. Although I had originally thought when we had planned to go golfing that it would be the four of us. I’m very good at golf and Ginny is amazing at it. I am going to look like a dork!”

In typical Alex fashion he replied with “It’ll be fine”.

Anyway, over breakfast Alex was given all the details about his trip out and Daniel told him about how he was going to be blindfolded and taken to a drop off point where he would have to figure out how to get to his camping spot and then get back home in time to be picked up the following day. He was all packed and ready to go. I could see him bouncing with excitement.  So off he went, wishing me happy birthday with a quick kiss.

Ginny picked me up and off we went to go golfing, as we were about to leave we saw Rea driving off the van. Hmmm, suspicious me thinks!
 As we dropped the girls off, I noticed Ginny was getting a tonne of texts, and I thought to myself “Even more suspicious!” When I asked her if Rea was joining us she had said that she didn’t think so. But the look on her face seemed more guilty then uncertain.

When we arrived at the Course, we immediately noticed Rea’s car and as we climbed the stairs we could see him practicing his putting. LOL, typical Rea I thought, getting here early to pay for us! As I looked out at the course I began to feel a bit better at heading out. I decided that I would get Ginny to give me some lessons so I wouldn’t look so silly when Alex and I came on to play.
The three of us chatted while we waiting for our turn to start. When lo and behold, Alex wanders up the stairs, backpack on, with a huge bouquet of flowers! “I am so sorry, I think I seem to be lost! I am supposed to be climbing a mountain but I can’t seem to find my way!” He exclaims! J

I was so shocked and surprised I started crying there on the spot.

Turns out he had planned the whole thing and had thought it was so funny how moody and crabby I had been about him not being there.

So we had a great time playing and I surprised myself by really enjoying the game. I had forgotten how much I like golf!



Later that night we trooped over to Rea and Sandy’s house. They were having a birthday party for Andrew, their son in law who also happens to have his birthday on a most auspicious day.  Sadly, he was only turning 28 which reminded me how old I am. L But the very very large vase of chocolates in all my favourite flavours from Rea, Sandy and Ginny more than made up for it. LOL

We had a wiener roast and Ginny made me a fabulous Ferro Rocher cake, wow was it amazing!!! Sandy also presented me with some photos of friends and family from home all cut up into a number 30. Mum had apparently asked if she could do that for me. It was so nice to see those familiar faces I did begin to feel a little homesick again but recovered after eating some more cake and ice cream J

I also received some amazing flowers from David and Jo…. Thanks guys J



The next day Marla made a fabulous meal and a very decadent chocolate birthday cake for me.

I have been spoilt rotten and I am so glad that I was able to share my birthday with so many new and amazing friends.

All in all it was a pretty good birthday! Thanks to all of you who wished me a happy birthday on facebook/email etc. I will reply soon but it may take a while.

Talk soon!

Here are some other happy snaps for you to enjoy...

Out to lunch at the Run Runner - a local pub. 

Yep, that is exactly what you think it is! Proof that their is definitely bears out and about over here.

Ok, I'll admit this isn't much of a happy snap but Hannah has been bragging everywhere about getting a tick and how brave she was while we got it out. I think I was freaking out a lot more then her! EW EW EW!!!

The girls have the A&W restaurant a big thumbs up for lunch today :) I was pretty impressed too!



1 comment:

  1. Happy 30th Birthday Tamara. May the year ahead be full of blessings and wonderful memories. On a different note, tick season should almost be over! We have a collection of jars of our finds. I agree, gross :)

    ReplyDelete