Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Nesting Period

We have been at Crows almost a week now (a week tomorrow actually) and I am amazed at how settled and comfortable we are all feeling.

I mentioned to Rea (thanks for the spell check mum, LOL) how it feels like we have been here for a month or more and he shared his camp theory with me. He believes that real time vs camp time is a 1:4 ratio. So you spend a week a camp, it’s more like 4. After a few calculations, that means that once we leave here it will feel like we have been here for about 2 years!!! He also told me that he is really only 37 and that his body has just aged prematurely because of all the camping J

This week Alex has been busy up in the office getting prepared for COLTS and also learning as much as he can about the day to day operations of the site, OH&S etc. He has been really enjoying getting to know two of the people running COLTS this year, Robyn and Daniel (He is a volunteer and it’s his first time running COLTS, he has previously completed the course though).  He has also had the chance to hang out more with Ginny, Percy and James who also work in the office. Percy and Alex seem to have a real Australian repour (is that one spelt right Mum?) with them both giving each other a hard time J It’s all in good fun though!

The girls and I have been out and about in town with Janice looking through the second hand shops (WAY BETTER than the ones at home), finding some great toys for the girls to play with, a pram to make life a little easier with Miss E and I also found something quite amazing….ALBERTA-OPOLY. That’s right, the Alberta version of Monopoly. $7, never been opened. Winner.
Can’t wait to bring it home and enjoying playing it with you all. J

I have also been helping out in the Kitchen most afternoons to help prepare supper (tea). This has been a lot of fun and also given me the chance to familiarise myself with Canadian brands and names. There was a huge discussion the other night as I asked Janice where to find the cordial…uh what?
And after bringing this up at the table we discovered there were quite a few differences in beverage names: To make life simpler I have put the Australians on the left and the Canadians on the right, just like the roads…LOL

Cordial : Juice    (Their cordial or Juice whatever you want to call it, is in powdered form, not liquid, kind of like our tang, I’m not a fan because even though it comes in way more awesome flavours you practically give yourself tennis elbow trying to mix the stuff.)

Juice : Fruit Juice

Smoothie : Milkshake

Frappe : Smoothie

Fizzy Cordial : Pop

Man, it had the head spinning once we talked all that through!

Working in the kitchen I was also excited to learn that Crows do a hot breakfast EVERY morning when camps are on. Can I get an AMEN!  How can they afford this I wondered!? Turns out eggs and food in general is a lot cheaper up here. I am yet to work out why, I’m not sure if the Government subsidises it or not.

So I had a few people mention how much then enjoy seeing the photos of us out and about in Canada, (yes Alex, I can already hear you saying “I told you so”) so I tried to go one better this time and include a few virtual tours. But I have serious doubts about them working as I can't seem to upload them, I'll keep working on it and for now here is some new photos.










Thanks for all your continued prayers and support. We miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Welcome to Canada! There are concentrates in the freezer section (looks like a can) that you dilute to make cordial too. We swing between powdered lemonade or ice tea, but generally have really taken to drinking water plain, much easier. Glad to hear you are all settling in so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks diabra, there is certainly some differences to back home, but its fun to try some new things and get funny looks when you ask for something and they have no idea what your referring too :-)

      Delete
  2. Ha ha Tamara, glad to see Alex has a great RAPPORT with Percy!! Love you sweetheart xxx

    ReplyDelete